Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Review for Out of Reach by Missy Johnson



Out of Reach
 
By
 
Missy Johnson
 
 
My best friend was dying and I was in love with his girl.

Andy and I had been best friends since we were eight-years old. Watching him slowly fade away, ever closer to his final breath, made me so incredibly angry. I knew there was nothing I could do to change it--I had given in to despair, but Andy had not. He had one last hand to play.

He wasn't going to simply sit back and wait for Death to claim him--not Andy. He was going to live life until he couldn't hold his eyes open any longer.

Andy didn't want to die in some sterile hospital and asked me to take him and Emily to the beach. It would be our last road trip together.

Emily. Emily was a problem for me.

I harbored a secret that would have torn our friendship apart. I was in love with Andy's girl, and had been since she'd walked into our sixth grade class, so many years ago.

So what kind of person am I? My best friend is dying, and it's
awful--but my heart still aches for his girl. I hate myself for thinking beyond Andy's death and whether there could ever be a future for Emily and I, but I can't help it.

I'm in love with her.
 
 My 4.5 star review
Andy Grayson is twenty-six years old and he has been sick since he was seventeen.  He had a mole on the side of his big toe and by the time he got it looked at he had Melanoma spread to his pancreas. Andy went through so much radiation and chemo and he went into remission when he was twenty-one years old. Now at age twenty-six cancer has found its way to his brain, his lungs, his liver, and his spine. He is dying.
Emily is Andy’s girlfriend and they have been together since before they went off to college. Emily has been friends with Andy and Seth for years and they are just like the three amigos in my opinion. She has been a caretaker to Andy for awhile, cleaning him when he soils himself, dressing him, feeding him, you name it she is doing it. But she loves him and that is what you do when you love someone.
Seth is Andy’s best-friend since he was eight years old and he is like a brother to him. Seth is this hot sexy smarty-pants lawyer. Deep down it is killing him that he will eventually lose Andy. He has never lost anyone close to him and now he will have to endure all that loss and pain.
Andy is done feeling sorry for himself. He is dying he already knows this but now he wants to live life in his last few days. So he takes life in his own hands and has Seth and Emily basically kidnap him and have an adventure. But Seth and Emily have no clue what Andy is planning for them…
This book is very emotional and heart-breaking. When I was 62% into this book I was a sobbing crying mess. It was like déjà all over again. I can honestly say that I can relate to the way that Seth and Emily were feeling and that breaks my heart. I know that they are just characters in a book but when an author can actually pull you into to their world, well that is breath taking. This book will definitely pull at your heart-strings.
This book is incredible and I can’t imagine how my life would be if I lost the man I love. I would be a wreck and most likely never leave my house or move on with another man. I think this book was perfectly written and I wouldn’t have wanted it to end any other way. I loved it and it has made me want to start a journal myself so I can document every good day that I have. We only live once! J


No comments:

Post a Comment