Monday, August 11, 2014

Drops of Rain By Kathryn Andrews

 
 
Ali Rain
Sometimes I think to myself, “How did I get here?”  Then the pain hits and I remember…it’s because she’s gone.  I now live in a new town, go to a new school, and I’m supposed to be moving on with my new life.  Only, I no longer know who I am anymore.  Dancing is all I have left and every day I feel completely alone.  Silence has become the theme song to my life.  She said to find some joy and light, but I don’t know how.  Mostly, I feel surrounded in darkness…that is until I meet him.
 
Drew Hale
I have only one goal, in 298 days I’m going to drive away from this small beach town and never return.  People are always watching me closely, too close, and I’m tired of wearing a mask. I need to be free.  Swimming is my ticket out of here and I remind myself daily to fly under the radar, stick to my routine, and under no circumstances let anything distract me.  I’m not as perfect as they think, most days I am drowning in guilt.  I’m not sure I will ever be able to escape the feelings of shame, worthlessness, and just being unwanted…that is until I meet her.
 
 
 
My 5 star review
 
 
I was in tears after only reading chapter one. I had to put the book down and run into the bathroom and just sit there for a moment. I can relate to Ali within just reading chapter one. What got me was the Swarovski dragonfly necklace that her mother bought for her before she died, I was able to not only relate but was able to feel Ali’s pain. That was it for me. That was the moment I knew this book was going to be something special. Drops of Rain is very emotional and I will guarantee you that your heart will break for all these characters. I want to hold Ali, Drew, Beau, and Matt and never let a bad thing happen to them. EVER!
Ali is 19 years old and just lost her mother to cancer. God I hate and loathe that “C” word. Being the only child, it is just Ali and her father now. Her father decides to up and leave their home and the lives they’ve established to move to Florida. Once they arrive, her father leaves her to be on her own and moves into a condo by his office. So Ali is alone after having lost her mother, whom was her best friend and her father wants nothing to do with her since the tragedy and would rather go it alone himself. She now has no one but her dancing to find comfort and dancing is everything to her.
Drew is the hottest athletic guy at his school, well besides his brother Beau. Drew, unlike his little brother, keeps to himself and focuses all his time on school and swimming, which leaves him with no time for anything else. But that is all he needs to focus on, so he can get out of this town and never look back. His father is an asshole and is always saying how Drew and Beau will never make it anywhere in life. Drew plans to prove him wrong in every way.
Drew and Ali cross paths and don’t even know each other even though they live right across the street from one another and go to the same school. Ali and Drew are different, yet simple in many ways. Can they find it in themselves to let someone else in? How will they find the strength to let go and live again? If you want to know, go check Kathryn Andrew’s book out and find out yourself. Don’t forget the tissues; you will certainly need them even within the first few pages.
I have to say that this book is definitely a keeper and I mean a keep close to my heart keeper.  Drops of Rain reminds me that you don’t really know what happens behind closed doors and things are not always as they seem. I was an emotional mess while reading it and towards the ending secrets come out and I was like “oh no this asshole needs to be punished”.  When I got to the ending though it was beautiful and the tears began to fall again.
Kathryn Andrews you did an amazing job with this book. Thank you so very much for wanting me to read your work. Your words are very inspiring, thank you.
“Perhaps our eyes need to be washed by our tears once in a while, so that we can see life with a clearer view again.” Alex Tan
 Author Links:
 


 Book Links:
 


No comments:

Post a Comment