Sunday, April 12, 2015

My Interview with Author Luke Young


Author Luke Young

Friends with Benefits Series Books 1-6, Go Away Girl, Shrinkage, Chances Aren't, Chocolate Covered Billionaire Navy Seal: A Parody


I just want to say thank you so very much for doing this interview with me. I am a huge fan of yours and I love your books! They are smart, brilliant, and freaking hilarious....



What inspired you to write the Friends with Benefits Series? (I love me some Brian and Jimmy....Hilarious, sexy, fun, and they will never get old)


In college I dated this girl who could do that thing, I wrote about, with her leg (she was formerly a ballerina) I fell for her hard and she actually ended up dating my suite mate. I was clueless just like my character was. I actually went on that spring break trip but that's where the based on the truth part of the story ends. When I was looking for an idea for a novel I thought it made for a good opening to a story. Now Victoria is a blatant rip off of Samantha from Sex and the City, but one who's a little more, um, horny I guess you could say - if that were even possible. Jillian I suppose is my idea of the perfect woman, a little shy, a little spunky, athletic, but can let her hair down and have some fun.


What is your next project?

I’m either writing a parody of the smash hit best-seller, The Girl on the Train, or I might try my hand at writing an alpha male romance novel. I haven’t decided yet.


In your opinion out of all the book you have written, which book is your favorite?

My favorite is Chances Aren’t. It’s a story about a guy who’s trapped in a bad marriage and who gets an opportunity to go back in time and fix it. It’s about second chances and regret and being careful what you wish for. It gave me an opportunity to visit some places from my past and it was a lot of fun to write.


Do you ever see yourself skipping and moving on to a different genre?

I mentioned the alpha male romance that I might write. I also might try to write a thriller or murder mystery at some point.


What made you say....I think I will write a book?

One day, about eight years ago, I just decided to write a screenplay. I set out to figure out the proper format then cranked one out in about a month. It wasn't all that good, but it was fun. I found it was hard to get agents or producers to read them so I just entered a few of those screenplay contests. That didn't exactly lead to anything. From there I wrote a couple more screenplays. When I saw that eBooks were becoming really popular back in 2010, I decided to adapt one of my scripts into a novel. My first novel didn't sell very well, but I kept at it. When I wrote Friends With Partial Benefits, I thought I might be on to something. And that novel and the series have found a group of dedicated fans.


What advice would you give to a new up and coming author?

Don’t expect your first book to be a runaway best-seller. Sometimes people hit a home run with their first book, but it doesn’t happen often. And don’t be afraid to give your work away for free. It can help you find an audience. If you are struggling to find readers keep writing if you feel passionate about it. Your next book might just be the one.





About Luke Young:

*Watch the short film based on the first novel in my Friends With Benefits series below*

Luke Young's uniquely funny and sexy Friends With Benefits series is what happens when you take a happily married guy who enjoys watching Judd Apatow comedies and force him to watch every episode of Sex and the City (at least that's the story he's going with!).

Luke is the author of the Amazon bestselling five-book Friends with Benefits series, along with the prequel, Friends Wanting Benefits and several stand alone comedies.

You can find Luke at www.lukeyoungbooks.com or write to him directly at lukebyoung@gmail.com and follow him on Twitter 
@lukeyoungbooks 

No comments:

Post a Comment