Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Review for This Love Will Self-Destruct by Leslie Cohen


This is the classic tale of boy meets girl: Girl…goes home with someone else.

Meet Eve. She’s a dreamer, a feeler, a careening well of sensitivities who can’t quite keep her feet on the ground, or steer clear of trouble. She’s a laugher, a crier, a quirky and quick-witted bleeding-heart-worrier.

Meet Ben. He’s an engineer, an expert at leveling floors who likes order, structure, and straight lines. He doesn’t opine, he doesn’t ruminate, he doesn’t simmer until he boils over.

So naturally, when the two first cross paths, sparks don’t exactly fly. But then they meet again. And again. And then, finally, they find themselves with a deep yet fragile connection that will change the course of their relationship—possibly forever.

Follow Eve and Ben as they navigate their twenties on a winding journey through first jobs, first dates, and first breakups; through first reunions, first betrayals and, maybe, first love. This is When Harry Met Sally reimagined; a charming tale told from two unapologetically original points of view. With an acerbic edge and heartwarming humor, debut novelist Leslie Cohen takes us on a tour of what life looks like when it doesn’t go according to plan, and explores the complexity, chaos, and comedy in finding a relationship built to last.

Amazon Link:


My 4.5 star review

I received an ARC from NetGalley for an honest review...

I am still in shock that this is Leslie Cohen's debut book. This book was extremely well written and it will suck you in, trust me.

I will say that I was not 100% sure about Eve in the beginning. Then she grew on me and she grew on me fast.

Eve is a young woman who clearly has anxiety issues that stem from her father leaving her at a young age and her mother dying. I couldn't even imagine what she went through.

Eve is looking for relationships that she knows will fail in the end. She is broken and feels as if she is only good for broken things. Which is so far from the truth, once you get to know her!

Ben is well....a great love. Well that is what I call him. He melted my heart in this book. He is the go to guy, he is the friends with benefits guy, he is the don't lie to me guy, and he is the bring home to your parents guy.

These two are soul mates and didn't even know it. It took them a long time to get there but I am so glad that they did.

OMG and when you read that one part, you will know too that these two are meant to be. When I read that part I was so engrossed I forgot to breath and I got goosebumps!

I am even more happy that Eve allowed herself to accept love and to know that she is good enough for Ben.

The ending was bittersweet because I wanted to know so much more about their future but that is OK.....because I am hoping there is a book two. Eve's sister's story. Hint, hint!




Leslie Cohen was born and raised in New York. She studied fiction at Columbia University, and wrote a weekly music column for a newspaper in Colorado before working in publishing for several years. This is her debut novel.


No comments:

Post a Comment